Friday, March 18, 2016

Progress!

We are almost through a third of this year and I am sorry to say I don't get to update my fitness blog the way I want to. But here we go with an update:

In my last blog post I mentioned I took up lifting and running in December.  Since then I decided to let go of the lifting for a while until two things happen.  1)  I break through the BIG 80kg barrier as strength training helps me to lose cm, but it stalls weightloss for me... don't ask me why, but I experienced this numerous times   2) I got my running up to scratch so that I can alternate the running and lifting.

With regards to the weightloss, it's been a bit over two years since I came 3 - 4 odd kilograms close to breaking through the 80's, but then I fell pregnant, had baby and got rid of the preggy weight, picked up a bit of weight again thanks to sleep deprivation, lost some, then last December came and I picked up some again (weighed end of January and saw a 3kg gain).  I am almost close to that stage again and I really hope to get rid of the 80's soon. I am working hard at this and hoping my running will contribute to my weightloss success.

With regards to my running - I am so chuffed and the reason why I am quickly writing this blog post today.  I started the C25k (Couch to 5k) running programme a couple of weeks ago, and finished Week 3 yesterday which entailed running for 90 seconds, walking for 90 seconds, running for 3 minutes, walking for 3 minutes; repeat; and I checked out what Week 4 would entail and got nervous, it looked so much harder... 3 minutes run, 90 seconds walk, 5 minutes run, 2.5 minutes walk, repeat - it looked like so much more running vs walking and I am not running fit by a long shot.
This morning I almost did not go out, fearing I would fail, but I started the first run of Week 4 and I did it!  I managed every single interval - I managed to run for 5 minutes at a time! Wooohooo!  It felt so good!  My legs were jelly at the end of it, especially since I did some extra walking afterwards, but it felt fantastic and it feels like a huge achievement to me.

The programme promise that one will be able to run 5km after the 8 weeks are completed and I am looking forward to that!

I'm starting to think of myself as a runner. I just need to get over my fears... there is a lot. I am scared of snakes in the road, there are huge open field areas in my neighbourhood and I spotted quite a few snakes and snake skin already, dogs - there are a lot of people in the area who does not keep their dogs properly enclosed like they should and I have been bitten by one 2 years ago, so the fear is real, and then of course living in South Africa  - thugs, but I run with my pepper spray and I will spray anyone who comes to close and I keep to busy streets.

Here's to completing this programme and having a lot more fab runs :) :) :)





1 comment:

  1. yippeeeeeee! i'm so glad you are getting excited about running. one day soon we will run races together, i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete