Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I made Almond Milk!

Hehe, don't know why it feels like such an accomplishment when it was so easy to do.  It was extremely satisfactory to see the nuts turning into white milk; and then processing the almond meal too!

I started off by soaking 1 cup of almonds in 4 cups of water for about a day and a half. Then I blitzed it in my smoothie maker, strained it through a sieve lined with a tea towel. It yielded exactly 750 ml almond milk. Then I heated the oven to 100 degrees Celsius and dried out the almond meal which I'm saving for...  I don't know yet, but I'll make a plan for it.

Only thing I'm disappointed about is the taste of almond milk.  I love almonds, but the milk tastes a bit watery,  so perhaps I added too much water. Afterwards I read on the net that some people adds a pinch of salt and vanilla to it.  I made it to add to my coffee, but I tasted it and prefer coconut milk, so will try adding it to my rooibos and perhaps that taste will work for me.

Next up going to make home-made mayo with egg yolk, olive oil and lemon juice for hubby, and some sort of tomato sauce for me with tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and try sweeten it with a tiny bit of apple/grape juice.  I'm enjoying trying out new things in the kitchen!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, supercool Debs!! Looks very cool. Well done, you have every right to feel pleased at trying new things!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankie Jess! Still need to find a use for it though hehe

      Delete
  2. That is awesome, well done! I have wanted to do it but really I am too lazy haha! Have you thought about trying it in smoothies or in baking recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I forgot to say, add 2 tsp of nut butter to a smoothie is really delicious, I wonder if it would help with the almond milk flavour?

      Delete
    2. Hmmm yummy, I'm definitely going to use it for smoothies - and thanks for the nut butter tip, I think I'll make one for breakfast tomorrow morning :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow wow wow, I am so impressed....I buy mine!!!

    ReplyDelete